Giving the Gift of Kindness Can Make All the Difference
Hot topics 🔥
Team & Company News
Kindness is what separates us from animals, it’s what makes us human. It is one of the most fundamental of all human attributes as it holds the keys to greater virtues, like compassion, empathy and even love. This is why kindness is another core WeAreBrain value because it’s cool to be kind.
Kindness can manifest in many different ways. You can be kind to yourself by not judging your flaws (like your disproportionately large ears), you can be kind to others by offering a friendly smile (“I like the way you’re put together”) or even helping an old lady cross the road (and the good Samaritan award goes to…you!). You can be kind to animals by adopting an entire litter of cats on a whim (#lifegoals) and you can even be kind to the environment by saying no to plastic.
The main idea is this: don’t be a mean, be cool instead.
And in the spirit of being kind, the WeAreBrain team have come up with a list of 10 kind things you can do today to help you play your part as an extra in the world’s production of Kindness: A Musical. If you only manage to do one of these today, you’ve already done enough.
10 things to do today to make the world a kinder place:
- Smile. To a friend, a colleague,a stranger, or even to the guy serving you your coffee on your way to work. It takes nothing to smile, and it really makes the recipient’s day.
- Say ‘thank you’ more. It shows your appreciation for someone with two simple words. It also helps you to not be a dick.
- Offer to make your colleague a cup of coffee. It’s a small gesture which helps create or strengthen a bond between two people who have no choice but to see each other day in day out.
- Tell a stranger passing by that they look good. Refrain from any creepiness here, just a simple “You’re really rocking that jacket” will give them a confidence boost.
- Offer your seat to an elder on the train or bus. Respecting your elders is a cornerstone for any great and civil society. Appreciate the efforts of the generations which came before you.
- Ditch plastic. Get yourself a non-plastic, multi-use grocery bag to play your part in helping our planet spin a few more years.
- Laugh at your dad’s unfunny joke. All dad’s think they became a comedic genius the moment they became a dad, and you have had to endure the lameness ever since. But what’s the harm in giving the old man a chuckle after a punchline? He’ll love that he has made you giggle and you will love him more for it.
- Adopt a rescue. Unfortunately, there are many cats and pups in need of a new home. Adopt one (or all) of them to dramatically improve their lives and yours. And treat them like the royalty they are!
- Go out of your way to help someone. Whether it requires a lot of effort or a little, pay it forward by helping someone out. You’ll be on the receiving end of good karma in time to come.
- Share this article and spread the word. If for nothing else than to show our team a little affirmation for their own efforts in trying to make the world a kinder place.
See? Being kind is easy. Take it from us.